Indian television industry is going through a transformation. Impending Analogue Switch off and New Media like OTT present an immense opportunity and challenge. Pay TV operators should also address the changing consumer and regulatory demands of varied content, better quality, improved service qualities etc; all at economical price points.
Especially the CableTV operators have an exciting time ahead. They have to invest and put in place the required infrastructure for Digitalization, get the content, abide by TRAI regulations etc; within the short deadlines. In this entire process of Digitization, The Subscriber Management and Billing system (SMS) is one of the important components as:
- It is “Brain” of the entire operations.
- TRAI has made SMS mandatory
- Monetizes the services
- Drives the customer experience
- A good SMS should provide the following benefits to the operators:
- Churn Reduction and Increased ARPU by supporting multi-service offering/launch
- Improved Productivity
- Reduction of Cost
- Increased Customer Satisfaction
- Quick Digitization Rollout
- Should be scalable and flexible
- Support new technologies
The Phase 2 and Phase 3 operators especially will find the Digitization Rollout challenging since many of them would be putting in place IT infrastructure for the first time.
As the customer viewing preferences are changing and demand for higher quality video is increasing, the operator are planning to have Multi-platform distribution like DTH, Digital Cable, IPTV, Mobile TV and New Media. In this scenario, the operators need to have a centralized SMS and billing system to manage their hybrid networks.
- TRAI Guidelines
- Below are some important TRAI guidelines related to SMS and Billing system
- SMS and Billing system should be TRAI compliant
- Support Ala-carte packaging, genre based packaging, Pre/Post Paid Billing, TRAI reports, QOS, etc
- Prompt provisioning of services, customer compliant redressal & tracking, etc
- Handle at least one million concurrent subscribers on the system
- The requirements of Indian CableTV operators are unique. Apart from handling the direct subscribers, they also need to manage the LCO’s and the Broadcasters.
- The Phase 2 and Phase 3 operators especially will find the Digitization Rollout challenging since many of them would be putting in place IT infrastructure for the first time.
- Some key parameters an operator needs to consider while choosing the SMS and Billing System are given in the chart above.
- Magnaquest has been a pioneer in the Indian CableTV industry. Many leading MSO’s like Hathway, IMCL, GTPL, Manthan, UCN, Jak, Darsh, Bhawani etc have been using Magna Quest solution to manage their end to end operations.
- The company has over 12 years expertise in comprehensive end-to-end Subscription Business Solutions for PayTV, Broadband and Cloud Computing businesses. Over 150 customers across 25 countries benefit from its solutions which is pre-integrated with all leading CA systems.
- MagnaQuest is already tested to handle 10 million subscribers and can be offered on both hosted and on premise deployment models. Magnaquest also offers Managed Services to operators, thereby allowing operators to focus on core operations while system the SMS administration and maintenance to us.